Resilient Flooring - Care & Mainenance
Get our bid . . . you'll be glad you did!
- Use a doormat outside each entrance to your home to prevent dirt, sand, grit, and other substances such as oil, asphalt, and driveway
sealer from being tracked onto your floor. Use non-staining mats on your floor. Do not put rubber-backed, latex-backed, or coco-fiber
mats on your floor because they will stain or damage the surface.
- To minimize potential staining from asphalt tracking, we suggest
you use a latex-based driveway sealer.
- Close your curtains or blinds where extreme sunlight hits the floor. A combination of heat
and sunlight causes most home furnishings, including resilient floors, to fade or discolor.
- Support furniture with wide-bearing, non-staining
floor protectors. Ideally, the protectors should be at least one inch in diameter, made of non-pigmented, hard plastic, and rest flat
on the floor. Non-staining felt protectors are also acceptable. Casters with a minimum 3/4" flat surface width or floor protectors
are recommended for all moveable furniture. Make sure any metal protectors are rust-proof. Replace your narrow dome furniture rests
with wide-bearing ones.
- If you need to move heavy furniture and/or appliances, such as your refrigerator, across the floor, always
use strips of wood or hardboard runways to protect the floor. Always use runways even if you have an appliance dolly, or even if the
heavy objects are equipped with wheels or rollers.
- Keep traffic light during the first 24 hours so adhesive can dry properly.
- If the floor has been seamed, avoid stepping on the seam
sealer for 24 hours so it can dry undisturbed.
- Avoid scrubbing or washing floor for at least three days after installation. Spot clean
floor avoiding all seams.
- When moving heavy furniture or appliances across the floor, always use wood or hardboard runways to protect
Initial Maintenance (within 24 hours of installation)
- Sweep your floor regularly (at least once a week) to remove loose dirt.
- Prevent stains by wiping spills promptly.
- Occasional mopping
with the resilient manufacturer's recommended cleaner when dirt builds up and sweeping alone is not sufficient. Use a solution of
cleaner (or clear, non-sudsy ammonia) in warm water according to the directions on the cleaner. Using more than the recommended amount
of cleaning solution may leave a dulling film. Do not use soap or detergent products as they will leave a dulling film. Rinsing is
not required when using most manufacturer's "no-rinse" cleaners, but if time permits, rinsing will provide the best care and highest
Routine Maintenance (daily/weekly as needed)